Monday, July 27, 2009

Treasures of Turkey

When The Anthology holidayed for a couple of weeks in sun-soaked Turkey, I knew I had to get a guest post. Effortlessly stylish and classy, The Anthology is one of my fave blogs and a must-read daily.

I'm so happy to be writing a guest post for A Beautiful Life because it was Liv who inspired me to start my own blog. I was addicted to style blogs -- couldn't get enough of them -- but I never considered starting one of my own until I found out Liv had one. Now, I can't remember a time before the Anthology (even though I've only been at it six months).

When Liv returned from her recent trip to Hong Kong she wrote a guide to that city for the Anthology. Now that I've just returned from a trip to Turkey, I thought I'd pull together some of my favourite purchases from that beautiful country.
Photobucket
Bold patterns of every colour were everywhere in Turkey. In the carpets hanging outside every second shop, in the textiles draped over every chair. They made me want to fill my home and my closet with pattern after pattern
Photobucket
Everything was so ornate, so beautiful, so colourful.
Photobucket
My dress is from a small shop in Antalya on the Mediterranean coast, two of my necklaces are vintage, one of them I made, and my sandals are from Brown's in Vancouver.
Photobucket
My scarf is from the same shop as my dress and the white pants I wore almost everyday.
Photobucket
My only regret is that I didn't buy more jewelry. There were so many big, funky pieces that I can't believe I didn't stock up.
Photobucket
I certainly didn't come home empty handed, but there are a few pieces that belong in my jewelry box, not in a stall at the Grand Bazaar. Maybe I'll just have to go back and get them.

7 comments:

Haute World said...

Great guest post! It's like two of my favorite blogs joined in one! My biggest regret is not spending more time scouring the markets in Istanbul. I was there with friends and it's just too difficult to really do what you want with other people hanging around. It's where my husband and I met up though (we knew each other from before but had lost touch), so I guess I did get a pretty good souvenier... kind of ;-) But he isn't Turkish, so it doesn't count... yep, definitely need to go back!

Awesome pics! Can't stop staring at the colorful fabrics and jewelry... sigh.

VancityAllie said...

Wonderful guest post!

I love Turkey, even though I was only there for a day in Ephesus... but even then (and despite how touristy it is) I was amazed by the colours and the life of the country.

Would love to see it properly.

Really great choice on the dress!

MizzJ said...

Great guest post! Turkey seems like a fascinating country to visit. Everyone I know who has been just raves about how rich and vibrant a place it is!

la flore et la faune said...

i'm a taurus too : that's why i like your blog. interesting view of Turkey too...

The Anthology said...

Livie -- thanks for having me!

Haute -- such a cute story, wish I could say I had one equally romantic.

Allie -- I didn't even go to Ephesus (or Cappadocia or Butterfly Valley or anywhere else you're supposed to visit). I feel like I need to go back.

MizzJ -- you should definitely go. I think you'll love it.

La Flore -- I'm an aquarius. Is that why I love both of your blogs?

Livie said...

@Haute-Shopper - aw thanks! would love to have you write too on A Beautiful Life. Wow - you met up with your hubby in Instanbul - that's very romantic.

yes i'm in love with the textures and colours of Turkey. Never been there but it's on my list for sure.

@VancityAllie - The Anthology always has great dresses!

@MizzJ - yes another testimony to how great Turkey is!

@le flore et la faune - awesome, that's why you love the flowers and fauna! me too...

@theAnthology - thank YOU for writing this great guest post, very thoughtful of you. I always get along with Aquariuses (one of my best friend, my father and my husband are all the water man).

weisandy said...

Love the last photo.