Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Silence

We've had some snow storms over the past few weeks and it's reminded me of how much I love the sound of silence. When the city becomes blanketed in snow, a muffled stillness falls through the air, bringing a sense of calm and peace.

I'm trying to reach this sense of calm and peace by holding my mind still, but it's hard for a monkey-mind like me. My body hasn't achieved a point where I can sit still for long enough so that my mind can slip into a blank ease. I might achieve moments of it, but it is something I need to work on.

I had a few moments of silence to myself when I went down the mountain gondola the other night. I was alone, wrapped in the blanket they gave me. In between the thudding and vibrating of the gondola, I indulged in the sheer silence and wondered if the Universe could hear me.

No comments: