Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Blicq Art

My dear friend Justine is the daughter of Canadian painter Anthony Blicq. He was an artist born in the UK and he came to live in Canada during the 1940's as a refugee during the Nazi occupation. He later split his time between Greece and the West Coast of BC, and his work reveals the influences of both these very different regions.

I was drawn to his work immediately. For me, it captures a perfect moment in time. The brushstrokes convey a sense of urgency, of the now, and there is an almost child-like earnestness and honesty in the way it's constructed. Now I am no expert in art, but for me, his work sings to my soul.

I never thought I would be lucky enough to own an original piece, but last month I remembered I had some money stashed away from over 7 years ago in a bond, and the interest could help me pay for it. I was ecstatic.

It took me a long time to decide on the two pieces that I would purchase, as there were well over a dozen that appealed to me. I finally chose the two pieces that had captured my heart the first time I ever saw them.

The first piece is Eagle at First Light. When I see this, I feel peaceful. I am in a happy state of solitude.














The second piece is Churches. I can't really explain why I love this piece, but it takes me a a far off land that I hope to someday visit.














I feel all the more attached to these pieces through my connection with Justine. It means a lot more to me to have a piece of her family history in my home, and it serves as a reminder of the wonderful friendship we share.

No comments: