Monday, July 5, 2010

Style Challenge: What to Wear to the Stampede?

I have been stumped lately with blogging, partly because I haven't had time to take pictures of all my new purchases with mom being in town and partly because I haven't been all that inspired. Last night, my sister in law, who happens to be one of my best friends, inspired me to write some sartorial advice for her. She is going to the Calgary Stampede this weekend and needs something to wear that is cute but classy. Now I've never been to the Calgary Stampede, but having seen some fashion disasters from the Cloverdale Rodeo, I've provided some alternatives.

The key is to mix things up and borrow from themes that are related to, but not limited to, just the western look. Try broadening to an overall more country look, or the related Americana/Prairie look, and you 'll have a lot more options. Or, consider trends which may have western influences but are updated in a modern way (think fringing, studding, destroyed denim, plaid, suede). Top it off with a cowboy hat or a straw fedora if you feel like it but I don't think it's required to create the vibe.

Vintage Cowgirl: This look is inspired by the cool cowgirls of times past. A classy silk western shirt with denim shorts or maybe a eyelet tiered skirt and tank with cowboy boots. Accessories should be kept simple. Horsey motifs (horseshoes, bridle/bit inspired jewelry) would work nicely.

Below: Young Fabulous and Broke Eyelet Tiered Skirt; Equipment Silk Western Blouse; BE&D Cowboy Mini Bag
young fabulous and broke caroline skirtequipment western blouse
cowboy mini bag
Country Floral: With florals everywhere this spring/summer, they are an easy trend to incorporate into a western look. Small flowers, against a backdrop of a pastel colour, has a country look to it that makes it suitable for the Stampede. I love these itty bitty high-waisted shorts. Pair with an off-the-shoulder white blouse and sky-high clogs.

Below: Kettle Black High Waisted Floral Shorts; Rachel Pally Senorita Top; Jeffrey Campbell Clogs
kettle black high waisted denim shortsrachel pally senority top
jeffrey campbell clogs
City Slicker: For the city girl, a black dress with fringe details will give you a western look without going too down country. Wear the cowboy boots if you dare. A studded wristlet gussies it up.

Below: Haute Hippe Suede Dress; Golden Goose Star Booties; Elizabeth and James Suede booties; BE&D Studded Wristlet
haute hippe suede dressgolden goose star zip booties

elizabeth and james lizzy suede cuff bootiesBE&D studded wristlet
Prairie Princess: I'm crazy about the prairie look of denim and colourful prints like gingham, plaid, and it's an easy look to throw together that's cute but not too dressy.

Below: Thakoon Denim Dress; Joie Rock Steady Fringe Booties; Twelfth St. by Cynthia Vincent Wrap; Joie Cece Dress
thakoon denim dressjoie rock steady fringe booties
twelft st by cynthia vincentjoie cece dress

Double Denim (aka Canadian Tuxedo): It wasn't too long ago that double denim was a big no-no. But this summer, the Canadian Tuxedo has hit the mainstream big time. So mix up your blue and white and whatever other colour of denim you have, and get ready to line dance in your mini cowboy boots.

Below: Current/Elliot Denim Shirt; 7 for All Mankind White Shorts; Joie Elvis Suede Booties; Kettle Black Romper
current elliot perfect shirt7 for all mankind denim shorts
joie elvis suede bootieskettle black romper
Yeehaw. Are you going to the Stampede or a rodeo this summer? What are you wearing?
All images from Shopbop.com.

8 comments:

Anya said...

The Gap has amazing chambray shirts on sale right now. I love denim & florals together.

Calgary Stampede is super fun! I lived there for 10 years.

Teresa said...

thought this was funny...my friend was saying that during the Cloverdale rodeo, the locals and 'cowboys' were all casual in their hoodies, tshirts, and jeans....only the spectators dressed it up.

Would love to check out the Calgary Stampede...sounds like one big party. And apparently a lot of locals' bdays occur 9 months after the stampede...hm wonder why ;)

MizzJ said...

@Teresa: lol what an interesting fact!

I could never go to a rodeo as I am quite literally allergic :( but I would love to wear either the floral or prairie girl looks you've featured here! This is some awesome advice Liv.

little luxury list said...

Ooh love that Thakoon dress and that first skirt!

Haute World said...

I've been completely lazy with my blog so don't worry about neglecting yours. Believe it or not, I've actually been to the Calgary Stampede, but that was so long ago, I don't even recall what I wore. Love that suede dress and the studded ankle boots!

The Anthology said...

Every year I say I'm going to go to the Stampede. And then every year I don't.

One day! Especially if it gives me an excuse to dress up in these cute looks.

*Kelsey

Kelly said...

great ideas!

i went to the stampede a few years ago... not sure if i fell into the 'country floral' category :P

ABIGAIL NY said...

loving the shoes!!!

http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com
visit, comment or hopefully follow.XOXX