Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Seafood Spectacular at Coast Restaurant

Seafood is one of my favorite things to eat and as far as seafood platters go, they can be hit or miss.  Freshness is obviously key, but equally important is delicate preparation.  I can't stand rubbery crustacians and chewy bivalve mollusks, and once over cooked, there's no going back.  

I was at Coast Restaurant on the weekend, and I had one of the most impressively prepared and presented seafood platters in a long time.   We ordered three of these gigantic platters between 12 of us, and the whole table oohed and aahed when they arrived.  Complete with smoking dry ice underneath the platters, the arrangement consisted of prawns larger than my hand span, a lobster, Alaskan king crab, Dungeness crab, mussells, clams, oysters, and a tempura tuna roll.  We girls wasted no time polishing the plates clean!  I think I was more than half full before I started the main course.

A sampling for dessert followed: a baked banana pudding with creme anglais, a peanut butter bar (tasted like a fancy Reese's peanut butter!), mini sweet crepe, and a molten chocolate brownie.   Everyone had a bite of each, and a perfect way to finish up a very fine meal.





2 comments:

VancityAllie said...

Wow that looks amazing! At first I thought you were talking about 'C' restaurant (which was a disappointment).

I've been to Coast for parties, but never to eat. Maybe I should change that! The food looks great!

Livie said...

@VancityAllie - Good to know about C - I've never been there before but i know it's pricey.

Coast was great! We went there also for my Dad's birthday and there were 22 people already - a big party but the food was still really great. I want to go back with hubby for the platter. They are apparently moving though to the current Lift location.