Friday, August 7, 2009

Fashionably Tasty

I'm so blessed to work with many fabulous people, and I'm very happy when I learn they blog! This week, I'm featuring the very talented and gorgeous Teresa Lee, a regular contributor at Tasting Vancouver, as my guest. She has a knack for discovering the latest great eats in town, and she's always got a pair of knock-out shoes and a funky bag.

Food and fashion doesn't sound as sexy as rock n roll and fashion (ie VH1s Rock Your Fashion) but it can be as ingenious and creative. The lovely Liv asked me to guest blog about something to do with style and food. It took me awhile to come up with a worthy topic to write. And then it dawned on me. Why the obvious!..fashion made out of food.

One of my favourite Project Runway episodes was the one with the challenge to produce a garment made out of whatever the contestants could find at the grocery store. A few of the fashion designers took the safe route and picked out items like garbage bags and curtains. The winning outfit, by the flamboyant Austin Scarlett, was painstakingly made out of corn husks. Even with the unorthodox material, the craftsmanship and the body-flattering style won the judges over.
Photobucket
Maybe its karma but the Project Runway favourite landed himself another food related assignment. Austin participated in the highly coveted Chocolate Show back in 2005. This show is held every year at major fashion cities like Paris, New York, and Tokyo. He used chocolate to adorn an Ascot-like hat and a very charming blue silk dress. The whole ensemble was red carpet worthy.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I think I rather wear Austin’s sweet little number than these snack-inspired hats that were worn during the 2008 and 2009 Royal Ascot Ladies Day. There were also designers that really took it over the top with creating very edible art pieces almost entirely in chocolate.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Hadley Freeman, contributor to Style.com’s blog, said it best in an article: “Food is colorful, its potentially expensive, and you can be a total snob about it. OF COURSE the fashionable are obsessed with it!”

And I wonder which fashionista is going to snag the potential Fall 09 trend (Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Fall 09 collection): wear your breakfast
Photobucket

Got something to say? If you would like to contribute as a guest, I'd love to hear from you. Contact me on Twitter @Abeautifullife or post a comment to this blog entry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh i love project runway!!!! austin was such a great character. i think season one was my favorite because all of the designers were so fresh and open. i mean they were all so comfortable with themselves. and the corn dress is amazing. i love the shape of it.

The Anthology said...

Hooray Teresa!

Those outfits are highlarious!

VancityAllie said...

Haha, I'm totally hungry now ;)

Some of those are really neat though.... I also love the corn dress.

MizzJ said...

So creative! Those chocolate dresses are amazing. hehe I kinda like the kitsch factor of that breakfast style dress.

Teresa said...

Thanks Liv for the opportunity to write for your blog! It was fun..my fave is that blue dress

Livie said...

I totally laughed when I saw those crazy hats - i love and hate them at the same time.

@Teresa - no, thank YOU for contributing a great post! I like those chocolate dresses, but mostly b/c i'm a chocolate freak =D