Monday, August 31, 2009

Fall Picks Part 2 - 90's Minimalism


I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty tired of the 80's inspired looks that's been going strong now for a while. Back in May, I thought the 90's were back, but I was more along the early 90210 vein. Strangely enough, Alexander Wang was recently quoted that Saved by the Bell is among his style inspirations.

Thank goodness Fall 2009 is not about channelling Kelly Kapowski or Zack Morris. Instead, designers like Stella McCartney, Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, Alexander Wang, and of course, the master of this era, Calvin Klein, have taken to a clean and slim silhouette for the season.

We've already seen grunge grace the runways, but the minimalistic 90's look is about streamlined sheaths, slim pants and jackets, and tower-high heels. Sharp tailoring is key, and palettes are kept to simple shades with no patterns. To punch up the look, I suggest pairing accessories in bold colours with clean, almost masculine feel to mix things up.

Above: Jil Sander White Dress and Red Polished Leather Clutch
Below: Jil Sander Beige Sheath and Elizabeth and James Jolie T-Strap Pumps

Ashley Olsen has been wearing this trend for quite some time now, and pretty much anything the Olsen twins touch turn into a massive following. I expect no less here.

Above: Elizabeth and James Laurent Shirt and Bop Basics Cashmere Tube Scarf

Above: Roland Mouret Navy Coat and Alexander Wang Cut-Out Jersey Top and Skirt

Alexander Wang, as I alluded to in my Part 1 post on the biker look, has taken to this look whole-heartedly. Cut-outs, another key look for Fall, is rolled into the clean cut looks above and below.

Above: Alexander Wang Rivet Trimmed Wool Jacket

In my teen years during the 90's, I thought this look was really bland and boring. Now wizened, I know it's anything but.

How, and will you, wear the 90's? How do you suggest keeping it current?

Above: Alice + Olivia Exposed Back Minidress

Images courtesy of Shopbop, Net-A-Porter, Helmut Lang, Style.com

7 comments:

Dream Sequins said...

Tell me about it, stud. :)

Although I didn't think I would ever get sick of the metallics and the embellishments, especially sequins, I'm finding myself gravitating towards simpler pieces, too.

The Anthology said...

That clutch! Oh my word, that clutch!

I love it. Especially in that orange.

* Kelsey

Haute World said...

Thank you for not being all ga-ga about the 80s! I can't see the bold shoulders anymore. In fact, Paris is over it (thankfully) so at least I won't have to see it in person anymore. I've not always loved minimalism. In fact, when I lived in Germany, where Jil Sander was worshipped more than anywhere else, I never got the hype, but I so appreciate it now. It's a timeless look and I think the best way to keep things like that current are with accessories (bag, jewelry, shoes).

P.S. Love your new hairstyle! I've had short hair most of my life up to my late teens, so there's no way I'm going short again in the near future. You look terrific!

MizzJ said...

Gorgeous picks, I especially love that Jil Sander clutch and the blazer with the cut-out back. Minimalist doesn't have to be boring at all for sure!

Btw I added you to my blog roll too!

Kelly said...

i'm with you - loving the resurgence of minimalism. while i'm not a fan of muted colours (they don't seem to work on me), my take on 90s minimalism will probably include tonnes of layering.

don't worry, i'm useless with braiding as well. the only way i managed to somewhat french braid my hair was thanks to a japanese tutorial on youtube. didn't understand a word of it, but didn't need to!

kingyo is quite nice! but my fave izakaya is still gyoza king.

VancityAllie said...

I'm not sure I'm into this trend. A lot of that looks super hard to pull off unless you are very skinny.

I don't like the cutouts I think...

EXCEPT..

THAT AMAZING CUTOUT DRESS!

Oh my, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I would wear that in a heartbeat :D

Oh Liv, I live through your fashion vicariously ;)

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

(I loveee your bob in the post below! (: )

But THANK GOODNESS. I thought I was one in few who wasn't too into the eighties trend! I've always loved the nineties; after all, I am a nineties baby!

bisous,
La C.